Writer’s Corner

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Writer’s Corner

Postby Sierra » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Welcome to the Writer’s Corner! This is a place to come and report your progress on the way to getting that book of yours written. Share your hopes, dreams, frustrations, successes. Check in daily, twice daily, as often or as little as you need. Whether you inch along, plod along, or gallop along, it’s all productive. We’re going to make it; we’re going to succeed! Here’s a tip I’ve found that’s working for me: Besides reporting in on what I’m working on for the day, or what I’ve accomplished thus far, I also write about what’s going on for me in my life. That helps keep my “personality” in the forefront, which helps keep me grounded, centered and connected to my writing. So in other words...feel free to write about your daily life here too. Ups, downs, rants, raves (in the good sense!), etc; Let the writing begin!
Last edited by Sierra on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Here's my first order of (writing) business for the day: I've got 11 pgs of stream-of-consciousness writing I did awhile back in order to break through some of my blocks. I've got 6 scenes to go through with that, flesh them out more, get them established into some sort of cohesive fashion. I've also got 2 other scenes I need to write that go in with those ones. This is going to take a bit of time to get through & get it just the way I want it. Maybe 2-3 weeks? I could do it quicker, but there's some other impeding factors going on for me right now. I've got a major time-consuming, physically demanding temp job/gig I'm doing which I'll talk about later. And then there's also this god awful heat wave we're having here. When the hell is it ever going to end? I'm having a very, very hard time with it. I've never been so physically uncomfortable or so upset about a weather condition in my life! It's beyond horrible! I'm constantly feeling dizzy, nauseous & lethargic with it. Luckily I can escape (sometimes) to the computer labs at school. I'm in NO mood to exercise with it, which really bums me out. Oh well... on to--my writing? No... on to some food at the moment; then to my writing!
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Shiral » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:13 pm

Sierra wrote: I've got a major time-consuming, physically demanding temp job/gig I'm doing which I'll talk about later. And then there's also this god awful heat wave we're having here. When the hell is it ever going to end? I'm having a very, very hard time with it. I've never been so physically uncomfortable or so upset about a weather condition in my life! It's beyond horrible! I'm constantly feeling dizzy, nauseous & lethargic with it. Luckily I can escape (sometimes) to the computer labs at school. I'm in NO mood to exercise with it, which really bums me out. Oh well... on to--my writing? No... on to some food at the moment; then to my writing!
Oh boy, do I hear you about the heat! I find it really hard to be verbally creative when it's over 90 F inside my apartment at ten p.m. and I'm literally stuck to the chair I'm sitting in! :? My rate of writing slowed WAAAY down this week. I can't blame that entirely on the weather though--my brother and sister-in-law were visiting from Florida this past week, and I joshed them about bringing Florida heat with them. :) They of course protested their innocence. Yesterday, I took them to the airport for their flight home and today it's a lot better. Coincidence? MMMMaaybe. :wink: Anyhoo, it was a lot of family togetherness time which was great, but not so great from a literary standpoint. BUT although my rate of output slowed, it did not stop altogether. Fortunately, things seem to have cooled to a livable level here in the SF Bay Area. It's amazing how comfortable 85 degree weather feels after having been in the 100's over the past weekend. I wrote for a while this morning and alas, my word flow isn't what I'd like it to be, I still got another 1,000 words down in an hour. (The word count is now 126,401 for them that's curious.) That's slow for me when I'm on a roll. I hope it's simply because I'm in a part of the book where I'm having to invent more while building up to the next Important Thing. Unfortunately, I'm also having a visit from the Skeptical Fairy who sits on my shoulder, reads what I've got and then rolls her eyes with her arms crossed on her chest saying "Oh Come on! Nobody's going to publish this! It doesn't really fit into any niche, and who's going to want to read it??" I try not to pay much attention to her, but she can talk pretty loudly. Instead, I keep watch for my muse while writing. I've found the best way to get her to show up is to start writing without her. She may only show up for the last ten minutes of any given writing session, but when she comes, she's worth the wait. I always find that the more I write, the more I want to write. It's kind of like a self-fuelling stove. Keep the pump primed and everything turns out fine. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Sierra » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:27 am

I'm really not in the best "place" mentally to add anything here right now. I wish I were. I wrote a bit at home this morning, then went off to school to take care of what I thought were a "few things", but it turned into an all day project instead, & it's still not done! I can see my whole writing day slipping away from me tomorrow, (and through most of next week too.) I'm really bummed about it! I pretty much have just myself to blame for this. Why oh why did I sign on to this?? I got a gig working as a boom operator on an independent feature. There's always 2 sound people on a film. This coming Sunday the other sound person can't make it, so I've delegated myself to find his replacement. (It's probably his job to do that, I just realized, after I've spent all day looking for someone else. Or even the UPM's job.) (unit production manager) I took on the task though because I was hoping to re-establish some contacts I hadn't kept up with, hoping by throwing them a job they'd remember me for something they had down-the-line. Turns out though the $$ this production co is paying is wayyy below what anyone I know is willing to take. So then I'm back & forth on the phone half the day with 3 of the main people in the prod co to try & finagle more $$ out of them for this. Plus I spend HOURS perusing a site on the internet that has sound people's resumes posted, ferreting out those that look like good prospects (esp people who say they get along well with others & are mellow on set!!), then hrs calling them all up! I could just as easily have put up a post on Craig's list to find someone--that's how I found this job, but I've always got to do things the hard way! I know I'm doing it this way as a "possible prelude" to putting myself out there for more boom op positions once this shoot is done. But then again maybe I won't. So what the hell am I doing anyhow? I've got to spend hrs & hrs tomorrow going through the whole thing all over again, till I find someone. This is also making me look good in the eyes of "those that hire" on the set I'm working on. But maybe not for that either. Nearly everyone on the set is more than 1/2 my age! It's just a fluke I got hired on. I've also got to go shopping for some appropriate clothes to wear for Friday's shoot. Shorts & shirt that are extremely loose & light. We're going to be out in the desert, triple digit weather. And my car doesn't have air conditioning & I've got to worry about getting there before I'm stuck in any sort of traffic. Getting there maybe even way before the shoot begins. I just want to write! I've been on a major roll. The little bit I wrote this morning at home before I went to the computer lab had me totally primed. But then my cell phone needed charging, so I had to come home to make all these calls, and then I got stuck with the calls & stuck in my HOT room. It's after midnight & I'm STILL having a hard time breathing with all this heat! There's just no relief from it. (I'm shocked SF has had the heat too. Over the 4th when it was so awful here SF looked to be the only place in the whole U.S. that had cool weather! I kept saying I was going to take Amtrak up there & stay in a youth hostel & walk around the city for exercise & writing inspiration, along with bringing my laptop & finding a good library to write in.) So besides all the stuff I've created for myself to do tomorrow in connection with the shoot which really isn't my "job" to do anyhow, and mentally preparing for the stress of Friday's shoot, then Saturday will end up being nothing but a recovery day from the day before, then Sunday's call time for the shoot is so early & the location so far away, that I'm going to have to leave around 5 a.m. to get there--another major stressor, and then I believe we'll be shooting mon-wed or thur too, so God, I won't be able to write until Friday or Sat the following week! Oh man... what have I done to myself? (I feel guilty for just "blogging" here, of sorts. I know this doesn't look like a success story yet, but I do think writing this way helps me keep in touch with me, with where I'm at, & ultimately helps my writing muse down the line.) Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Shiral » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 pm

I'm at 130 K words, and 240 pages as of quitting time this morning. Would have kept going, but had to get ready to go to my paying job. :D :D :D :D :D A writing friend I hadn't heard from in several months got in touch with me in mid-July, and I sent her the first two chapters at that point. On July 27th, I got a VERY effusive e-mail back, saying how much she enjoyed it, and could she please have some more to read? :D That primed the pump a little more, and I've been going strong ever since. Even though I know I'm turning out good stuff, it's always nice to have outside endorsement! Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Sierra » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:15 am

Okay... back again, back on track. Yeah!! :) Yesterday I organized more of my writing again. I keep getting glimpses of what needs to be done next to get it really rolling along. I got one pg done--doesn't sound like a lot but it's in this \"new\" style of writing that I need to employ for a number of upcoming scenes right now, so that was good. Today I must finish these following scenes! No excuses, no lagging. Melissa-- 240 pgs? Wow! Keep on going! :D Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Aspiring Writer has Epiphany

Postby writenow » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:20 am

Since living in Chicago for the past 5 years, I have had as many jobs as an administrative assistant -- which I hate, but unfortunately it is what I know. However, in the mean time, I am "this close" to finishing my undergraduate degree in Professional Writing -- which is what I want to pursue as a career. So why is this a writing success story you may ask? Well, I realized yesterday that instead of putting all of my energy into finding the perfect office job, I should be redirecting my time into putting my work out there via editors, publishers, and contests so that I can become published. Let me digress by saying that I have no problem revamping my resume and cover letters when I apply for an admin position, but I wasn't using that same tenacity to get published. And even if my work is rejected time and time again, I realized also that even when I send out a resume to a perspective employer for a position that I feel eminently qualified for, it still doesn't mean I'll get the job. Usually I have to "dumb down" my experience.
writenow
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Shiral » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:20 pm

WOOOOOT!!! 250 Pages!! But it was a slow, hard-won 10 page advance. For some reason this week, I've really been having to slog away during my writing sessions. I seem to be very easily distracted lately, with the attention span of a toddler on speed. Still, I made it. And now for something completely different, as Monty Python would say: WOOOT!! Ned Lamont won the Connecticut Primary. Yesssssssssss!!! Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Sierra » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:54 pm

I truly cannot believe how much \"life\" intervenes with my writing! Everyday it seems to be something else to the point of...I don't know what! Even last semester...that was \"The Dog\" fiasco. \"The Dog\" took up every waking moment of my time. Now... On my way to the last day of the set on the shoot I just finished working on my car started to pour thick black smoke all out from under the dashboard--on the freeway. This is after I just put in a substantial amount of $$ working on it not 3 wks before. And now it also needs new shocks. (They were fine, I swear, till after the mechanic put in new brakes. I swear I can't trust mechanics not to screw with a car during each repair, making it necessary to bring it back for them to do something else.) So now my mechanic (owner of the establishment) is pushing another car on me to buy. I guess I'll do it. (Mine's got 187,000 miles on it.) So yesterday I spent an hr waiting at triple A, only to find I needed to go to DMV after all. So then I spent 3 hrs ( :!: ) waiting for my # to be called there, only to find the seller hadn't signed the papers correctly. So then yesterday I also got a call for an internship interview. It required considerable transfers on public transportation. It took 3 hrs ( :!: ) to get there today!!! I was 45 min late--not a good 1st impression. All told I was 6 hrs in transit today. I \"thought\" public transport was going to be \"faster.\" The LA subway IS fast, but the buses... hell no. So now tomorrow it's another excruciating DMV hours-long wait. And do I even want this car? I love my car. I'm beginning to realize though that it might be a good idea to have 2 cars. I can keep one up at my mother's. It's such a damn long drive up there & there's no public transport all the way, that that becomes one of the reasons I don't go there a lot. This way I'll have a car there & maybe I can pay a family member to pick me up at the train station & drive me the rest of the way there. So then of course I'll have to be spending time getting BOTH cars to a mechanic the rest of this week. (Must find a cheaper one this time!) I need to get this \"new\" used car checked out. Here it's a mechanic (owner of the shop) who's helping with the transaction, but because he's selling it for another mechanic who works there who doesn't speak English, and the man is a friend of his, he acts like he doesn't understand me when I say \"IS THE CAR OKAY??? Will you PLEASE do a complete service check on it.\" Damn. No, he won't. (He's speaks fluent English but now acts like \"he too\" doesn't understand English! And yes, I've said I would pay for it. He still won't do it. I'll have to go to a triple A mechanic now--after I pay for the car! I'm not going to even know if it's a reliable car yet. Oh this is so screwed up.) So, my writing. I AM getting \"some\" stuff done. I've had yet another \"breakthrough.\" I found there was reason to put certain sections in italics, due to the fact that they are internal thoughts. I wasn't writing them as internal thoughts at first. That was the mistake I was making, since they are internal thoughts. By changing that these sections are starting (mind you... I have \"barely\" got to them) to FLOW! And that FLOW feels incredible! I'm ecstatically happy about it. This is going to really, really help my writing & speed it up--once I get through all these diversions. (Except there's more diversions on the way. I keep thinking I need to move! But that's another story....) Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:58 am

Well I decided to pay attention to my inner feelings & didn't buy that car. It just didn't make sense how much I'd been hemming & hawing & procrastinating about it. Normally I'd be racing to buy it if it felt right. I just felt like I was "supposed to buy it" since the mechanic/owner had offered it to me in such an out-of-the-blue manner. I didn't even like the feel of how it drove, yet I was still thinking I "should" buy it. I truly believe all things ultimately come from the Universe, so I knew that the offer of this car came from the Universe working through the mechanic/owner of the shop, so I was feeling guilty turning down the Universe. (Hopefully I don't sound like a nutcase to anyone about that!) But I need to realize that I don't "have to" say "yes" to everything. Abundance Reigns in the world. The Universe will open up to me again. Another "right car" will come to me when it's time. I'm happy not having a car at the moment. I barely drive my car much anyway. It's fun at the moment to take public transportation. It's an adventure, which is always a good thing. I futzed around with my writing today, not too seriously, but kept making little inroads of progress with the changes I was making to each sentence & paragraph I re-worked. They sound, read much better now. I'm very pleased about them.
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Sierra » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Still only just \"futzing around\" with sentences & paragraphs. Keep having mental \"breakthroughs\" of how to write these certain sections better & better. Each time I DO go in & change something it IS for the better, so that's good. :) Tomorrow I believe I'm going to rent a car & pack a huge amount of junk I have here & take it up to my (inexpensive) storage unit near Reno. It's a gorgeous drive up there--eastern Sierra's & all. This time though I am not going to tell anyone I know in advance that I'm coming! Last time I did that in June I ended up spending all my free time \"visiting,\" when I hadn't wanted to do that. I ended up not getting any writing done--which had been part of my purpose for going there to begin with. There's an incredibly plush, quiet, peaceful, isolated library up there that I want to try writing in. I only managed to get in a sad :( :shock: 15 minutes before they closed on a Friday last time I was up there. (Not open on weekends.) This time I refuse to allow myself to be waylaid like that! Ulterior motive: to see if it \"feels right\" & if my writing flourishes in that environment. If so, move back up there for awhile. Maybe. (My rent was just raised & I have got to cut it down!) Either way, I want to spend some time relaxing on a beach up at beautiful, gorgeous Lake Tahoe. I need to get away. I need a vacation! To all writers--keep writing! :) Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Shiral » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 am

Just one thing to boast: Today I reached 150K words!!! :shock: :shock: The page count is 272. :D :D :shock: You may all return to your normal programming, now. Melissa
Shiral
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Sierra » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Way to go Melissa!! Yeah for you!!! I never did end up leaving town. In the spirit of \"Plan B\", I always have plans one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, ten thousand. It seems I change my plans a thousand times a day, or week. It must look really confusing to people, probably makes me look flaky. Oh well... it's only me who's got to live with myself... :? I continued to \"futz\" with the 3 sections I was working on. Just 3 little sections--but they were driving me nuts! I had to get them right! And yesterday I finally did get them right!! Yeah!! They sound great--at least for a \"1st draft.\" I didn't fully edit out all of the stream-of-consciousness writing I'd done on them. I need to go through those still--possibly delete them altogether. However I am not going to mess with them anymore at this point. That's for later. I can move on now. Yippee! (I'm a little embarrassed to say that those 3 little sections only totaled 5 1/2 pgs. :oops: How can it take so long to write so little??) Well, anyhow... I was \"hoping\" to write today. Now of course I'm spreading myself ultra thin again with trying to \"hurry up\" & lose a lot of weigh & get in shape, along with catch-up with all my housework & older correspondence. Humph. However... Next steps: I've got 3 new sections to tackle for my writing. They aren't as tough or hard as these last ones. Parts of them are already written. I just need to re-work them a bit, along with finding 2 of the sections in some other file on my computer. (Not sure just which file they landed in way back when I first worked on them. :? ) I worked out the progression of scenes which will follow these 3 new one's today. (In my head.) It made the grand scheme of it all feel a whole less daunting. That was good! :) Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dani » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm

This site just gave me an epiphany. I've been waffling in my head about a book forever and finally realized that the reason I haven't written it is because I'm afraid it will fail. The epiphany? Break it down into small chunks, start a blog and find out what people respond well to. I've been thinking about a multipurpose blog, rather than several that will cover single topics. We'll see... Meanwhile, I know that I'm not the world's greatest writer. But if I can put a message out there in an effective manner, who cares?!? Another thought to spur me on--what will I feel like if I die without getting my particular messages out there? Glad to have a place to come to. :D dani
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sierra » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:07 am

Welcome Dani! Glad you got an epiphany here!! That's super. :) Wrote out a bunch of stream-of-consciousness stuff late last night on the new section I'm starting on. Lots of writing, not till the very end did I really see any usable stuff. It took \"all that\" to remember a part of what this section is about. Glad I did the work & finally got to it! I made a list today of all the remaining scenes in this section. There's 23 of them! :shock: :shock: I had no idea! This is astounding to me. No wonder I never seem like I'm getting anywhere! No matter how much I write the end seems to always keep getting further & further away from me. That's definitely not the way this is supposed to be going! It was certainly good to see where I need to go with this though. What's mind-boggling to me is that this all was supposed to be just one chapter in the overall outline of the book! Damn. I've already got my \"book\" (it's a memoir) divided into 3-5 volumes. Am I going to have to take what I've been perceiving as chapters & turn them into full books by themselves?? :shock: I don't know. I'm speechless over the whole thing. I just added up the pages I've already done on this \"chapter.\" It's 56. (I made a mistake last night--it was 6 pgs I'd completed, not 5. I must have been really tired to goof up on that!) I added up all the pages I completed since I started working back on this whole thing more diligently. That was in the beginning of June. I've done 93 pages so far! (Of course that only works out to one page a day. Harrumph!) With 23 scenes left to do on this section... I don't know. I suppose I could just set a goal of writing one scene a day? Maybe that would make this a more \"doable\" project--rather than such a daunting, overwhelming, life-sucking project. Perhaps it would give me more incentive? I'm torn about it though, as how can I ever work with my adviser over this? (That's a whole nother story I'll go into at a later date.) Good Luck All!! Sierra
Sierra
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Success Stories