For Everyone - List your 2006 Successes!

Success means taking real steps in the direction of your dream. Talk about them here. You deserve to be commended, hailed, supported, admired, copied and shamelessly promoted.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

For Everyone - List your 2006 Successes!

Post by Tituba »

Now that it's the end of the year, let's list our 2006 successes! What were your successes? (If you want to read the 2005 successes http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewt ... 70&start=0

moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by moviegal »

This doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I sure was busy this year.
    Got my film production company off the ground. Created my company website. Started blogging about my adventure. Read four filmmaking/business books. Took five (?) filmmaking classes. Edited a chapter of a book for a writer.
Hopefully, next year I'll have more to show for the year, including getting some of my personal goals done, not just business goals. I'm a bit lopsided right now and need to be more balanced.
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Got my film production company off the ground.
Slap....getting a film production company off the ground is HUGE! Don't undervalue any of that!

moviegal
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by moviegal »

Tituba wrote: Slap....getting a film production company off the ground is HUGE! Don't undervalue any of that!
Ow! *rubs cheek* Okay, duly noted. But I expect a lot from myself and I guess my accomplishments list wasn't as big as I hoped.
My dream in progress is located at http://www.shoomzone.com

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

Yeah, I have that \"all or nothing\" - high expectations thing going myself.

Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Tricky Grama »

Accomplishments for '06? Retired from a pharmaceutical sales job. Figured out, w/some help, where to put my small retirement funds. Wrote a book to be read to your dog. :) Yes, really. Of course, it's not published-I need it illustrated. Read 18 books that I wanted to for years. Bought a Toyota pick-up. (all cash) Bought a concession trailer on ebay, drove 3500 miles round trip to get it & haul it back. Cheerfully attended my 40+ HS class reunion. Painted the living room. Painted & semi-remodeled the guest bath. Prepared a 20' X 8' garden space for spring. Cleared about 4 acres of brush, thorns, poison ivy, bombs, (oh, no, wait-I'm exaggerating) Vacationed in the Adirondacks! Hosted 4 granddaughters for a week. (2 were 9 y/o, an 8 y/o & 6 y/o) Hosted 4 other sets of house guests. Knitted 9 muffler scarves. Drove 1800 miles round trip to help daughter work in her furniture store for 10 days. Cheered the Cowboy's to a winning season. OK-now I'm digging for stuff... Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.

Punxsy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

2006 Successes

Post by Punxsy »

What a GREAT thread! I will be back closer to New Years, after Christmas when I have time to ponder 2006 and start thinking of my next year's goals. I will list my accomplishments then. Meanwhile.. great reading here!

AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by AVATC »

Personal successes:
  • I celebrated another wedding anniversary with the love of my life.
  • Drew drove his motorcycle, and I followed him in the car from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale and back.
  • We enjoyed a 12-day Greek Isles cruise from Athens to Istanbul that stopped in Egypt. We were thrilled to visit the Great Pyramids! We flew home from Istanbul through our favorite city, Paris and got to spend the evening at my favorite thing, the Eiffel Tower.
  • I created a scrapbook of our Paris vacation from last year. I used Shutterfly to create 6 other quite spectacular photobook/scrapbooks.
  • We finished decorating the new recording studio, which we built on the house in 2005.
  • I have saved money by riding public transportation and checking books out of the library.
  • I FINALLY met Barbara Sher! :)
Successes in voice-over:
  • I brought version 2 of my web site on-line. My new site includes testimonials, a picture of my gorgeous new studio and new demos in addition to more free content of interest to those getting started in voice-over. I continue to modify and add content on the site.
  • I started my blog, which I use as a web site traffic builder and teaching tool for newcomers. I have been a contributor on other popular voice-over blogs and Yahoo Answers to establish myself as an expert and drive traffic to my web site.
  • I went to Brazil, New York and Los Angeles to take 3 highly specialized classes with Susan Berkley, Rich Jones, Pat Fraley and Hillary Huber: The Inner Game of Voice-Over, Women in Animation Workshop and Audiobook Workshop.
  • I re-worked my narration demo and created a high-tech demo with my coach's guidance. I created a new audiobook demo in Pat Fraley’s audiobook workshop. I submitted my commercial demo for critique by a LA casting director, and I am making revisions to it based on her comments.
  • I “fired” some price-buyer clients and raised my rates after hearing an interview with Larry Steinmetz, author of How to Sell at Margins Higher Than Your Competitors: Winning Every Sale at Full Price, Rate, or Fee.
  • I mailed postcards with a picture of my studio to audiobook publishers/producers and corporate e-learning contacts. The postcard capitalized on an unexpected testimonial from an audio publisher.
  • I mailed New Year’s promo calendar mousepads to special clients and agents. Because of that mousepad, I was hired -- OF ALL THE VOICE TALENT IN ATLANTA -- as the professional voice talent to read copy with an aspiring talent on a local TV show about finding your dream job. I publicized my appearance on the show with a blog entry and an e-mail to everyone in my database within the program viewing area.
  • I bought a small music library and started production on my podcast show.
  • I wrote an article about podcasting in a corporate environment for a popular training e-zine. A potential client wrote to me immediately when the e-zine was published, and I saw a burst of hits on my web site.
  • I have approached several authors and publishers about acquiring the rights for books I want to produce in audio. I am creating a pitch package for my next book. I am in the process of starting my own audiobook publishing company.
  • I called my coach for coaching almost every month and participated on the monthly teleclasses as much as possible.
  • On all my on-line auditions and correspondence with potential clients, I invite people to my web site so they can hear my demos, read testimonials from other satisfied clients and see pictures of my beautiful soundproof recording studio (repetition of my message).
  • I started everyday with a success ritual. I step into my booth and express gratitude for all the opportunities that have come my way in the past and the ones that are coming my way. I talk about the voice-over career that I envision with the certainty that it is already my reality.
I have learned that my career success is not measured only by a person’s financial standing. I have made quantum leaps in terms of my knowledge and creativity this year. While I have overambitious goals, I have a clear vision that becomes sharper every day. My voice-over career is perpetually evolving!
Karen Commins
http://www.KarenCommins.com
My audiobooks on Audible.com: http://goo.gl/3A5Mu6

Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Tricky Grama »

OMG-Karen! You should be so proud! What a wonderful studio & your accomplishments are monumental. YGG! Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.

loverofbooks
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post by loverofbooks »

While reading through this thread I realized that I too had a great year. I launched my web site business (see signature) which has been doing pretty well. I wrote a great, quality eBook (if I may say so myself :wink: ) and learned how to do it myself. I'm in the middle of a major remodel of the web site and am so excited. I can't wait to see what 2007 has in store!
Sylvia http://preneuraholics.com New Funding Source for Entrepreneurs Peer to Peer GIVING

SMM2005
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by SMM2005 »

Hi All, I guess my biggest success for this year would be that I have learned that I don't REALLY have as much control over everything in my life and that I have, for the most part, accepted this. As difficult as this is. Congrats to everyone for their many successes. May 2007 prove to be even better! Susan

alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by alwen »

I think my biggest success this year was keeping up my blog fairly regularly throughout the whole year. In the past, I've struggled with writing. I've been told that I write well, and yet I never produced anything public, or that I considered publishable. \"If you'd only appy yourself . . .\". With blogging, it can be short and sweet: I can write anything that's been bugging me or going around and around in my head. For me, it's actually two successes, writing publicly, and writing regularly.

Izbit
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

My 2006 successes

Post by Izbit »

Got a new job that excites me. Celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary Went to Spain for a week with my husband (and no kids!) Trained for and completed my first triathlon Continued blogging on a regular basis Brought my first CASA case to completion Hosted a lovely Thanksgiving dinner Started seeing a counselor to handle stress/overwhelm Had a lot of fun with my family Read a lot

Scenario Thinker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Scenario Thinker »

- I trained all summer and completed my 20th marathon in Chicago this October. - Since switching to the department I'm in at work, I'm doing what I'm better at (and enjoy), I'm getting lots of accolades, and I'm becoming the \"go to\" guy for a lot of stuff, got a great review and a pretty good raise (considering inflation these days). - I took two classes this fall at the local community college and got A's. A lot of work, but a lot of fun! - I just started running again after some time off so I'll get back in the habit before the Christmas/New Years splurge :) .
S.Thinker
....o
^/v
/>

jXL
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

with farewell to 2006...

Post by jXL »

Wow, this is a fun thread! And so timely too!!! OK. Let's see... where do I start... hmm... 1. I made a lot of money in January this year, and bought an anitque writing-bureau (European style!) This has always been a dream of mine; makes me feel so like a writer, someone important! It was on sale. 2. I went to Hong Kong in April, and bought a fabulous black silk night-gown with embroidery on it. It was good value for money. 3. I've had many romances, including one that ended up in a marriage proposal which I accepted, but later on refused. I had many many dates with many many different men. 4. I finally got myself into a social setting that is conducive to living out one of my Five Lives dream - it's going to chaperoned parties (some big parties, some small gatherings for professionals). 5. I went to a wedding in HK for the second time, and got some amazing photos. Had a great time with highschool chums and had great food in beautiful places. I felt the power of friendship. 6. I successfully mooched off on Dad's allowances; I think this may be the last time I can do so in this lifetime! I envied a friend of my cousin's who was an heiress... This was my version... 7. I designed my website for my paintings and shared my art with the world. 8. I spent a lot of time with animals this year - I had a pet bird, she died, and I had her cremated. I got my pet beagle back and now I'm living with him! I rescued a baby rabbit from being abandoned in a forest; I am providing shelter and food for her now. I love touching them and looking at them. Taking care of them. 9. Most importantly, I quit my job as English teacher, and applied to graduate school to pursue my childhood dream of being an illustrator. I got accepted to Visual Communication Design department. 10. One of my biggest and most important goals is to be less controlled by some people in my life. This isn't so much a visible thing, but something that has personal and significant meaning. 11. Finally, finally, I enrolled myself to learn how to drive a car. I've been resisting it for the past decade, and I'm finally doing it. 12. Had a personal makeup artist, and a personal trainer!!!! Dreams DO COME TRUE!!! Thanks for letting me share! :D