The Answer to a few hundred questions on this board!

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The Answer to a few hundred questions on this board!

Postby umo1171 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:24 pm

Hello Friends, I'd never heard about Barbara Sher till coincedental flip through the channels this weekend. She is brilliant and I was beyond impressed with her organizational and presentation ideas on the topic of living your dreams and making a living at them! So I just signed up on the board here and I read many many questions, and so many of them were SO easily answered by something only available to us recently in this internet generation. eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay! NO I do not work for eBay but I have to tell you GONE are the days of writing your book, your songs, your MOVIE and never getting it out to anyone UNLESS you are magically lottery style, with luck selected by a publisher, or A&R executive, whom have NO right (and in many cases no ability to determine potential i.e."Stephen King was turned down by MANY publishers???") to determine whether someones art is GOOD ENOUGH to be allowed onto the market place! Man if you are a creative force in any way, musician, writer, ceramic sculptures, whatever! Now you can go direct! I have had a few eBay experiences that were? But most of them are 100% cool, as both a buyer and seller. There is really no need for the next Bach, or King, or Sher to go undiscovered! To ALL the artist posts on this board for gods sake, give this a try! You don't even have to bite your nails off taking your last savings to print 10,000 copies. Just be honest and very descpriptive about your homemade work, make it quality, and you will be pleasantly suprised by how many people LOVE to buy direct from the artist! Think about it, if Bach or Michaelangelo were alive today, would'nt you LOVE to have one of their homemade pencil sketches or musical scores that you purchase at online auction for a couple bucks!!! That probably kept them from having to go to work at some very much not there type of job preventing them from doing these great deeds! I will look through the board and answer when I can but I just saw SOOOOO many artist related "how can I..." with the answer being the same everytime! TRY eBay, Yahoo Auctions... etc. Go forward without doubt and quit trying to do things the old fashioned and outdated way looking for approval from some desk jockey who has no right to stand in the way of your work and the public!!! Love, UMO Image
umo1171
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:48 pm

Umo, hello and welcome! That's a very nice idea in theory, but I'm coming off my first experience with eBay as we speak. It's sure not all it's cracked up to be as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of work, petty expenses and details involved, which the return by no means justified. They charge for just about everything. You have to have a paypal or merchant account in place (and many artists don't, and can't even get one of those), And you have to be able to write selling copy (which many artists and even writers can't do, as it's a specialized skill). Even if you do everything right, there's no guarantee that the right buyers out of all those millions will find you while your auction is running. Yes, they do have tutorials and a lot of helpful features, but it's still a lot of work. I hate work. I don't DO work Image I wouldn't put my art there because it wouldn't get even my lowest 'giveaway' prices in that venue - there are other art auction sites that are far better venues for artists. As for my 'homemade books' or paintings or sketching, the same applies. I'd rather put up a site and do the flexible Google ads, which are easier, cheaper, far more effective, and you pay only as orders come in - unlike eBay, where you pay even if an item doesn't sell. eBay has millions of buyers, but they're looking for the lowest possible prices and bargains - which is what eBay is set up to provide. I know many people have had much success with larger items on eBay - things that are easy to put a market or retail value on, which people can easily compare. I don't think that's where most artists and writers would wish to be, unless they're selling prints, limited edition lithographs or production items. I may be wrong. That's just my opinion from one experience. But thanks for the thought Image Always looking for hermitaceous solutions to the problems and perils of marketing. Happy to have another enthusiatic participant on these boards! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby umo1171 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:16 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, however, if you'll notice the pattern of your comments they are all the exact same type of roadblocks when can use to stop there success no matter WHERE they go to. eBay, old fashioned "get signed" method, etc. I notice on the board to, the biggest defeating factor is people's perspective. Everything I've been winning at in life lately comes from this change: Things that years ago would have made me say, "oh god, not yet another thing to deal with..." Now I say, "Oh okay so these are the new rules? Cool, I'll analyze them with a smile, these are the new rules I am going to now use to win, ... again!" This mindset works no matter where you go. eBay, old school, etc. Awesome. -UMO Image
umo1171
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 pm

Cool, UMO- Always good to get a new perpective and you're probably right. I do get annoyed more easily at anything that takes me away from my art (except my kids). I'm sure that affects my view of the experience, since I'd rather be doing my art than writing copy, posting stuff, then calculating shipping and trekking out to the Post Office or PostNet. In fact, I'd rather be playing video games with my daughter or watching truly awful movies with my son than doing any of the above Image Point well taken! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby umo1171 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:47 pm

YES YES! All those things are wonderful, so I think the answer whether it turns out to be eBay or whatever for you is INCORPORATE ALL those things you want to do as a requirement of you business plan! When I started and still today, any part I don't like of any of my biz, online or otherwise, I write down, Q: How can I improve this, I no longer want to do X, I want Y to be done 100% faster? The answers will flow if you don't block them. I you are goal writing how about instead of just, "I want to make money doing what I love." How about the real deal: "I WILL be making HUGE money doing only that which I love, with plenty of time left over to hang with my awesome kids, with hardly any of my time spent on the biz aspects of getting paid...." etc. The more specific I become the more successful I seem to become in all aspects of my biz. Learn to say NO! Whether eBay or elsewhere, ain't NO WAY I'm calculating special postage for each indi person. Go flat rate, look what the big time billionair pros do! You don' t get calls from Ted Turner saying, "Mam, I know its 2 am but what was yer zip code, I need to adjust your Cable bill!" Nope, Ted doesn't know who you or I are he just has a computer spit out a piece of paper that says, "Eh, you owe me $50 bucks for cable this month, Enjoy Image" Look to the big boys and girls, at least the more I do that the closer I become to them. Now with that I throw in a little Ghandi, Jesus, Lao Tzu, Marcus Aurelies and some other non money big boys and I'm living the life I need and want to live! Image Greatness! -UMO Image
umo1171
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby MaryJCAL » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:45 pm

I have sold items on ebay for a couple of years now just to make ends meet and fill my monthly medications. The past two months I decided to run a regular auction for writing a poem for your loved one. I write a poem for the person you wish to give it to. Also mat it. Buyer frames it. I've had the opportunity to write my poetry and make some money doing so.
MaryJCAL
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby umo1171 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:50 pm

WOW, now thats whay I'm talking about! I mean selling a POEM! Do you know how "HARD" or "impossible" that is supposed to be! YOU ROCK! Thats to cool! WAY TO GO! -UMO Image
umo1171
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby GiniDee » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:13 pm

Ok, all- I'm a big enough gal to admit when I'm wrong! (And I even get to BE wrong, out loud in public, which if you knew my history you'd know how HUGE that is for me :eek Image Love the Ted Turner analogy - too true! Image Umo, sounds like you have the ingredients to be a real bigtime contributor to these boards. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and your wisdom! Mary, I'm glad that poetry idea is working for you. That's terrific! All the best - GiniDee Image
GiniDee
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hillsmith » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:47 pm

Wow! Umo! I love your energy and your inspiring thinking. I'm retraining my mind and want to get to your level. Thanks for contributing, you made my day! Nancy
hillsmith
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby umo1171 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:53 pm

AWESOME! You are all awesome I love this board! YES! BTW, Gini, I teach music for about 50% of my income and I think you have that color chart music thing? I looked at it for a second or two and in my opinion it is great. The colors allow players to use peripheral vision which is very powerful when they later need to move on to playing without LOOKING at every single key. I think you've got something there, price may be an issue. Not that its NOT well worth it. Its worth a million bucks but people may not have a million bucks to get it. My instruction is based on a mix of very old school music theory with totally new method, but I really think your colored note system will have a more mass appeal ESPECIALLY for those looking to ad the joy of music as more of a hobby! Which means your audience will be even more of the population than the more classical methods! To cool! UMO Image
umo1171
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby AVATC » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:15 am

Lack of money is one big reason that people cite for not moving forward on their dreams. However, you can liquidate assets cheaply and easily on eBay. No, I don\'t like shlepping stuff to the post office any more than GiniDee does.....but I sure DO like getting the money! I REALLY like being able to continue on the path of my heart\'s desires! I ran eBay auctions when I needed some big bucks to get my first voice-over demo produced. I sold a ton of my Barry Manilow collection and other stuff to raise money to buy my harp, which was a MAJOR purchase! A tangental tip -- Use a credit card like American Express or Discover that gives you something for every purchase. I get Delta Skymiles on my AmEx card for everything, and we use it for EVERYTHING. Even though I had the cash for my harp, I bought it with my AmEx. I was able to rack up a lot of Skymiles for buying the harp on the AmEx, and then I immediately paid off the card with the cash I had saved. eBay is the first place I go when I want to buy something and the first place I go when I need some fast cash! I just wish that I had been the one to think of creating the service in the first place! Image ------------------ Karen Commins http://www.AVOICEAboveTheCrowd.com
AVATC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Scorpio Moon » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:26 am

I've been using eBay for four years. I'm a total eBay advocate. Umo is right. I have bought many black and white photographs (prints) on eBay. Not only do I love having direct access to the artist, but I am excited by the idea of searching through the listings to find a truly creative genuis. I have seen, and honestly been amazed by, photographers who aren't well-known whatsoever have great success on eBay. One person that comes to mind is this guy: http://www.stores.ebay.com/dgouldphotography ------------------ Check out my Web site
Scorpio Moon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby songpoet » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:29 am

Hey umo1171,,,,,,I like your style! We got a lot of similar ideas. I'm singin the old STAR TREK (best one of course) theme (ala Placido Domingo)! I'm a Tony Robbins fan also. And we have "MUSIC" in common,,,,i'm an amateur songwriter. I tried E-BAY (I still BUY there)but when a post came on the MESSAGE BOARD from a lady who said someone was draining her BANK ACCOUNT & no one would help, I quit selling. There is an up & coming selling site,,,,,,,check this out; www.ioffer.com they also have a "sister site" where people post "WANTED ADS" www.ewanted.com
songpoet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby marcusunlimited » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:27 pm

Placido Domingo style! Wow you must have some major vocal skills! Image Yeah, I am REALLY looking forward to other online "cottage industry" ready sales venues to come into play! Someone has GOT to seriously compete with eBay. I mean (so the eBay gods will smile on me...) I LOVE THE HECK OUT OF eBay and all that, but with that said, I can think of alot of ways I'd rather have an online marketplace or digital flea market function that how eBay's system goes, in fact I'm really convinced eBay is in the MASSIVE state of success it is in really for one reason, They were first, to go live with such a VERY original idea! And for that they deserve major kudos! Now with that said... I know some YOUNG kid programmers I've seen the work online and they could design and program an online sales site that would BLOW eBay away in terms of logical sales flow and function in my opinion, if they only believed people would give it a chance and utilize it enough! I am immensely thankful for eBay's existence in my world! Image I love you eBay and see unbelieveable great times ahead in our union! -Marcus Image
marcusunlimited
New Poster
New Poster

Postby marcusunlimited » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:40 pm

In fact let me survey: Please add to this list ANY up and coming easily accessable by cottage industry online auction or sales sites so we can get some traffic there! (Where start up investment is almost nothing...) Here's one's I now know of: 1. eBay 2. Auctions.yahoo.com 3. ioffer.com 4. Bidville.com Others? Thanks, -Marcus
marcusunlimited
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties