How to get your book published

Let us know what information you need and one of our net wizards might suggest some internet links that can help you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

How to get your book published

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jun 28, 2000 3:01 pm

I've gotten a number of letters about how to get published, how to get agents, etc. It's getting harder and harder as the publishing industry changes. But, once again, technology is favoring the little guy. Talent with no connections no longer has to sink like a stone. There's a remarkable new development at Xlibris. (I'll go check out their site to make sure that's what it's called. I got a brochure in the mail but gave it away. It's also the inside cover of Writer's Digest this month.) They'll publish your book free, give you 50% of the cover price as royalty, and print up copies as you need them (like amazon.com does, apparently.) They'll list it with amazon.com too. And other stuff.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jun 28, 2000 3:04 pm

Marketing your book is much easier and cheaper, too, thanks to the internet. Just set up a small webpage with the table of contents and some juicy excerpts and e-mail the link to the people you think would be interested. No spamming, just an email to the appropriate people.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Thayer » Thu Jun 29, 2000 6:30 am

There's another print-on-demand site that I've been hearing about (on NPR and in Writer's Digest). Again, they print copies of your books as people order them. Their site looks very good: www.iuniverse.com On their site, they have quoted the blurb from Writer's Digest:"The print-on-demand publisher offers almost everything you need to know about the publishing business. iUniverse is a writer's dreamland. Full of how-to information, affordable online classes, industry newsletters and informative chat rooms and message boards."
Thayer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Confused empty nester » Tue Jul 25, 2000 11:06 am

Barbara, I can't thank the universe enough for having stumbled onto your Public TV show in June. All the supportive people seem to lurk here on your BB. Anyway the reason I am waxing so enthusiastic is that my step-father and I have been searching for info on getting writing published and neither of us has been on the web longer than 6 mo., and I have only been exploring for three weeks. I'v just added your BB to my favorites and you can be sure that I'll pass the info on. Thanks Ms MC
Confused empty nester
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Andrew28 » Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:03 am

Barbara - Sometime in the next 3-4 months I will be unveiling www.e-bookbin.com. It will be an e-book publishing/sales site where the authors will split profits (as well as the 15% CC acceptance fee). I am going to cater to unpublished authors as well. E-bookbin will also help re-introduce the serial in e format (hey King isn't the ONLY writer out there). I will post more as the site nears completion. [This message has been edited by Andrew28 (edited July 28, 2000).]
Andrew28
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jul 27, 2000 3:53 pm

Sounds interesting, Andrew. Good luck!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Terri W » Sun Feb 11, 2001 8:59 pm

Hi, I'd like to, very politely, interject a word of warning. Be sure to research very carefully in the case of an online publisher. A lot of things are easier to do online--and sadly, that includes scams. (I cover Internet-related news for a living, so I hear about that from time to time). </p> At a convention I went to not long ago, several members of the Science Fiction Writers of America were holding forth about various scams out there; the big take-home message was the rule that "Money flows from the publisher to the writer, not vice versa." I hope I haven't put a damper on things.
Terri W
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby REinvestor » Sun Feb 11, 2001 10:55 pm

"Money flows from the publisher to the writer, not vice versa." Terri, Very wisely stated. That seems an excellent, very basic way to make an initial judgement. I took a quick look at the 2 sites Barbara and Thayer mentioned. The truly look fascinating. Thank you. And Andrew, I'm looking forward to your site when it's ready. Let us know. Way to go! ------------------ 1 thing at a time; 1 step at a time
REinvestor
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Violin » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:02 am

I have a wrting associate who has published through iUniverse, and so far is happy with the results. His book is advertised on the big sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and I've been able to order it from 2 local bookstores and the library. This isn't my publishing route of choice, but he decided to go this wayto get his first novel out there. As I understand it, the book is "print on demand" i.e. it is printed when ordered, so the publisher doesn't have as much cash overhead. fwiw, he is using a more traditional route to publish his second novel.
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Self Publishing, Booklets, resources

Postby Dee46551 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:37 pm

HowStuffWorks http://people.howstuffworks.com/self-publishing10.htm RESOURCEShttp://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=14203 Self Publishing and Selling Booklets http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=13626&highlight=booklets
Dee46551
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby up4tea » Mon May 08, 2006 1:42 pm

all the self-publishing companies I have researched which claim to publish your book for \"free\" require you to pay for an ISBN publishing number, and the cheapest one I found... http://www.lulu.com charges $35 for their basic package, $150 if you wish to purchase the right to distribute thru Amazon and Barnes& Noble online
up4tea
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

publishing

Postby Tricky Grama » Thu May 11, 2006 6:53 am

I'm unclear on the concept-what if you just want your book printed? Well, I guess you need a cover, etc. Probably lulu.com is the best deal? Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.
Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby up4tea » Thu May 11, 2006 4:12 pm

lulu can print it, but you cannot [b]sell[/b] it [b]ANYWHERE[/b] without an ISBN which means you could not even order copies for yourself :roll:
up4tea
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Tricky Grama » Thu May 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Oh, that isn't so good, maybe iuniverse.com is the better plan? Patty
The meaning of life is inherent in the connectons we make to others through honor and obligation.
Tricky Grama
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby up4tea » Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 pm

NO ONE can legally sell a book without an ISBN number, it doesn't matter which publishing company "prints" it for you... the rules for resale are the same the ISBN number costs...
up4tea
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Needs and Links