Shipping the kilims

If you want to help with Barbara's dream of teaching e-commerce to village weavers in central Turkey, check in here.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Shipping the kilims

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu May 08, 2003 9:22 pm

Check out the weblog! The weavers are making gorgeous smaller pieces with those same powerful ancient symbols on them and the beautiful handspun, vegetable dyed yarn. Go to http://weblog.kilimwomen.com While Hatice is in Ankara studying English and computers, her sister Sultan is visiting the weavers every day, taking photos and putting them up on the weblog. They're lovely. (She's putting up symbols and their meanings, too.) Laurie has found a few stores here and overseas and some artisan organizations that are interested in carrying some of the items! This is exciting, but.... I only have about 30 pieces here in the U.S. and it's expensive to ship the ones now being made in Turkey. It could eat up any profit sales might bring in. Does anyone know about such things?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Fri May 09, 2003 12:56 am

Barbara, Ray and I know only a tiny bit about importing into Canada, from the U.S. (We imported aluminum boats, by the trailerful, maybe a dozen or twenty at a time, loading, unloading, and towing them ourselves. I am really good at pricing in different currencies, too. But none of this is helpful to you.) My thinking is this... This is not the first time small orders or shipments have come into the U.S. And, this is business of Hands on Hips, I believe. There must be minimums and maximums! There must be small amounts that can come in duty free! Or, perhaps it is possible to bring them into Canada, or Mexico, and then into the U.S. under NAFTA. Perhaps someone in the U.S. could act as your volunteer U.S. distributor, saving you the time. It's not as though you were trying to fill a department store! You need, I think, a broker to tell you the rules. A broker in the U.S. Maybe you could pick his brain if you promised him the business when you ship large items in the future. I suggest a broker because we found that the Canadian Customs officers were not allowed to tell us stuff at the border. We had to know what we were doing before we got there. (Boy, did we learn quick!) Don't know what the rules are in the U.S. Likely there is help for you at some office of U.S. Customs. Or at the U.S. Consulate in Turkey. Or through some other charitable organization sending homemade goods to the U.S. Somewhere, someone has the very information you need. and, I am only guessing, of course, but I can't see that the weavers will send any amount of goods that would attract much charge. At least, not at first. Perhaps you could ask a shipper, a shipping company. There's where you are likely to run into costs - the shipping and handling itself. You'd probably best have friends of Hands on Hips do the physical carrying. There is insurance, too, against loss by the shipping company or Turkish post office or U.S. post office. But, thinking again, who are your potential customers? They aren't really your average bargain-hunters, are they? They are folks who love you, Hands on Hips, and the art of the weavers of Ortahisar. They are interested in the lore of the designs, the yarns, and the dyes from plants in Ortahisar. They are the lovers of craft and history and presevation and development. These weavings are rare. And they are valuable because they are rare. If you should find that shipping and handling and insuring and duties are expensive, then those who want these treasures will be glad to pay the price necessary. Someone offered the name of a dealer in art cloths in New England, here in this forum. I emailed the young woman who owns the company, but I got no answer. (I had to guess her email address.) Perhaps we could find her once more, and ask her advice. I'll start a search within two days. (I...uh...have some pressing Success Team tasks, first. Image) - MDG
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Wed May 14, 2003 10:26 pm

WONDERFUL READING! http://www.anichini.com/about/mn_susans.html Anichini Susan Dollenmaier - President and Founder Anichini Corporate offices Route 110 Tunbridge, Vermont 05077 info@anichini.com It is said of Susan Dollenmaier... \"Anichini\'s collection of antiques, one of the most extensive and valuable in the country, is an example of her innate ability to pick up on what is the absolute best-the \"genuine article.\" She is in the process of producing a reference book for which, she says, the industry has a dire need. Susan is constantly creating, coming up with new ideas, all fueled by her passion for the genuine article, and a zest for life that is unstoppable.\" Hands on Hips reveres the origins and preservation of ancient Turkish textile arts. Susan Dollenmaier is a student of these arts, as well as a businesswoman of note. Surely this is a friendship in the making. How can we contact this lady on behalf of the weavers and lacemakers of Ortahisar, and Hands on Hips? What should we say to engage her interest, advice, or assistance? What can we show her that she will absolutely love? Barbara, We must be guided by you. You are the one who knows the history of the Silk Road, the scholars and museums of Turkey, the making and uses of the textile art of today. How can we be Friends of Hands on Hips? - MDG This website was first mentioned here by CindyLee, June 20/02, in the thread \'Painted Tablecloth...\' I am itching to know how you found the site, CindyLee! Are you involved in textile studies, arts? Please tell! [This message has been edited by MDG (edited May 15, 2003).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Thu May 15, 2003 12:15 am

Anyone wanting to know more might like to begin with a search of "Susan Dollenmaier". One of the thirty-something sites I liked was... http://www.specialtybed.com/magazine/1999/fall/feature2.php3 Enjoy!
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby explorer » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:04 am

Barbara, Something that may or may not still apply. When I brought a small rug home from Lebanon three years ago the Customs at the airport asked me was the rug (I was carrying it) for the floor or the wall? I looked at him and said "I know there is a right and wrong answer here." He just smiled. I said, "for the floor." He sent me to the window to pay duty. I went back afterwards and said, "what if I'd said they were for the wall?" He replied "then they would be considered art, and not have duty on them." Go figure! Don't know if this solves any shipping problems but I thought I'd pass it along. Roberta
explorer
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Vict » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:03 am

Hmmm... Not sure why I never saw this question over the last four months?! I've lost track of the Hand On Hips timeline, so I don't know if this was before or after you locked in the non-profit status - and I don't know if that would make any difference. (Seems like it should) You might find someone here http://www.feminist.org/store/ProductAfghan.asp?keyword=H who has advice, as they are doing something quite similar (Afghan women - some in exile earning hospital and school money via traditional embroidery). Or, someone on the boards might already know whom to contact at FMF? I wish I knew the perfect contact name there - all I can tell you is the lower people on the totem pole the their online store are breathtakingly clueless (hearts in the right place, but no business/common sense). And, hey, in case this is still an issue, bumping it up can't hurt, right? Vict [This message has been edited by Vict (edited September 01, 2003).]
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:03 pm

Victoria, You've probably done this, but I'll suggest it anyway... ...Research the leader, and any other names of people who catch your attention. There are thousands of sites mentioning the name Eleanor Smeal. Maybe somewhere you'll find the names of people who work with her, too. You could also ask for videos/transcripts of her speeches, or books. Somewhere you'll find more about the activities and personnel of the organization, I think. (Some day I am going to research Elizabeth May, and Maude Barlow, read all I can at www.davidsuzuki.com and get the video of Robert F. Kennnedy's speech to the Canadian Bar Association. I'm also going to research Riverkeepers, or River Keepers.) There are great good works afoot in this world, and these are the people who will be in the history books of the future. They all talk about affiliation and co-ordination of efforts, as well. (Jane Goodall, too. And Sylvia Earl...) [This message has been edited by MDG (edited September 07, 2003).]
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:27 pm

Vict, Did you see the Tree of Life placemat at http://weblog.kilimwomen.com/ ? I know you love the design. M.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vict » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:50 pm

Ah, MDG, you misunderstand... I don't give two figs for how to ship cheap from that part of the world. I have no need at all to track down any of your suggestions or mine. I was pointing Barbara toward an avenue where she might find advice. Image Hadn't seen the placemats yet - I love what they do with these smaller pieces.) [This message has been edited by Vict (edited September 06, 2003).]
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MDG » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:55 pm

Oh dear! They keep telling me I ought not to post after midnight! I read 'I wish I knew...', and I was off. Does anyone else search people to become familiar with them or their organizations, or with their work? Some people love research, some people love research when they have time for it. Some people are already involved in the industry, and needn't research at all. Anyone up for this? I, for one, need to know more than I do.
MDG
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Catherine-aka-Cat » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:36 pm

There used to be a shipping company in Toronto, called CanLynx, I believe. It may still be there. It was founded and owned by an amazing woman. Her first name is Dionne. She grew up in Egypt and ships a lot in the Middle East and Africa. She knows everyone and everything and has incredible integrity and professionalism. And is very down-to-earth. She loves helping people and might enjoy giving free advice for such a worthy cause.
Catherine-aka-Cat
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Almost ready to roll!

Postby angel » Tue May 25, 2004 10:33 am

Hatice is learning e-commerce now because she's done so brilliantly with English and computers that she's a total whiz. Also we're getting ready to send email photos of the latest small kilims for practice, and (finally) we've found an inexpensive way to ship the kilims anywhere. While UPS charges around $70 to ship a small kilim, there's a place (we still have to double-check) that will send any size kilim for $20!! Hooray! The kilim e-commerce school of Ortahisar takes the next step! Soon the women will be able to operate on their own (well, in about a year or so). Other plans are in the making: we'll be ready to invite a small number of students (2 or 3 at a time only) to come here to learn every aspect of weaving from shearing sheep (which we're going to do tomorrow, it being spring and all) to washing, spinning, dyeing and weaving the wool into beautiful kilims with really special symbols -- it's pretty exciting. But I thought I'd report on the shipping now. PS: you might be receiving an email from Angel (aka Hatice) any time now because I'm teaching her to build a mailing list (the first step in ecommerce of this type) and she is practicing with my list. If your email is here she'll ask your permission to add your name to the list. If it's not, she'll ask you to send it to her (if you give her permission to add you name to the list). Then, soon, we hope to send you a "kilim of the month" photo with a story about what it means and some great history. One step at a time. She and Sultan are simply great students. I'm impressed.
angel
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Vict » Tue May 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Great news on the cheap shipping lead! 8) Also, just got my e-mail from Hatice, and have given the okay to add me to the list. :mrgreen:
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri May 28, 2004 2:48 pm

Woe. A trip to nearby Avanos and a visit to the DHL store shows the numbers on the internet are oh so wrong and we are stuck once again. (Think $75 to mail 4 pounds to the U.S.) Back to hauling them in with each trip.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Vict » Fri May 28, 2004 3:45 pm

Curses! Foiled again!
Vict
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Kilim Women